This practical, straightforward guide to some of the most commonly seen birds in southern Africa is aimed at beginner birders, or even juniors. Less daunting than a full-blown field guide, it’s handy and accessible, combining simple text with clear artwork and photographs
to introduce 300 of the region’s easy-to-see birds. For each bird the book offers:
- Simple text, including how to ‘find it’, ‘identify it’ and ‘understand it’
- Colour images, both illustrations and photographs
- A distribution map
- Common English names, plus scientific, Afrikaans and other African names
- Average size, details of the nest and the number of eggs laid on average
- Interest boxes for some birds, providing extra information.
Colourful, to-the-point and offering quick ID pointers, this book should find a ready market among southern African birders and outdoor enthusiasts.