About the book:
This new larger edition is based on the recently updated fourth edition of the standard-format Sasol Birds of Southern Africa. The region’s best-selling, most comprehensively illustrated and trusted field guide, it offers:
- Rewritten species accounts, now with group introductions.
- Newly designed plates for ease of use and comparison.
- More than 380 new improved illustrations.
- Illustrations with simplified labels, pinpointing key differentiating features.
- Updated distribution maps showing relative abundance and indicating resident or migrant status.
- Calendar bars showing species’ occurrence and breeding periods, and sonograms depicting the calls of difficult-to-distinguish birds that have distinctive calls.
The larger format allows for better appreciation and easier use of the plates.