The definitive butterfly ID guide for South Africa.
Explore, identify and learn about over 800 butterfly species with Woodhall’s Butterflies of South Africa app, a comprehensive new field tool written and photographed by butterfly expert Steve Woodhall.
Designed for easy identification of all butterflies likely to be seen in South Africa, this app supplies a wealth of information, from butterfly biology, behaviour and anatomy to flight periods and geographical distribution. It explores South Africa’s diverse butterfly species, many of which are endemic - found nowhere else in the world.
- Features more than 800 South African species
- Identify species by upperside or underside colour, pattern, size, habitat and flight period
- Nearly 3000 vibrant photographs showing males and females, uppersides and undersides, and diverse colour forms
- Search by region or by GPS
- Up-to-date, accurate information on family groups and individual species
- Compare two species side by side
- Keep track of your sightings in a Life List
- Search by English or scientific names
>> Click here to watch the Woodhall’s Butterflies of South Africa app demo video.