About the book:
This guide for young explorers combines scientific fact, fascinating tidbits, brilliant full-colour photography and sensitive illustrations to bring a wonderful variety of ocean creatures vibrantly to life.
Children will enjoy poring over the colourful pages as they:
- read about marine habitats like sandy beaches, rocky shores, estuaries, coral reefs and kelp forests
- discover plant and animal groups, including molluscs, crustaceans, coastal birds, mammals and reptiles, among others
- learn to identify important species from each group, using picture field-guides
- study the helpful holiday guides to find out what sea life to look out for along the shore – from Walvis Bay to Mozambique
- find out why the ocean is vital to us, how it may be harmed by human activities and some of the ways in which we can help
- learn about the valuable work that marine scientists do
This introduction to the habitats, plants and creatures of the southern African shores is a celebration of ocean life that is sure to become a favourite with beachcombers of all ages.